Skip to content

Archive for

Fixin’ Stuff

Wall-To-Wall RVs (click on photo to enlarge)

It’s February and Crazy Horse Campground is full of snow birds.

For the last month or so, I’ve been fixing things in our RV. Oh joy. Here’s what I’ve been up to . . .

THE EASY STUFF

The bathroom sink caulk needed replacing, so I did:

Fresh Caulk – nothing prettier

 

THE GREEN STUFF

“Tom, why is our water green?”

So I checked the filters in our motorhome’s water compartment, and sure enough, there was a definite green tint in our sediment filter. Mmmmm . . . I had a bad feeling about this.

To check my suspicions, a used a couple of cotton swabs and wiped the inside of my water hose . . .

It’s green

 

Next, I cut off a small length of water hose and sliced it open . . .

It’s Algae

We probably picked up the algae while we were on the road last Summer. Ugh.

There’s no easy way to get rid of it, so I ended up replacing our 35-foot water hose and nuking our RV plumbing with a heavy doses of bleach. Fingers crossed.

 

THE GRAY & BLACK STUFF

While we were traveling last Summer, I noticed that one of our holding tank gate valves was leaking. So I ended up replacing both the gray tank and black tank gate valves . . .

Water Compartment

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

THE VERY DIFFICULT, INCREDIBLY STICKY STUFF

About 5 years ago, I did some repairs on our RV’s roof and put down some Eternabond tape along the roof seams.

Eternabond Tape

However, after 5 years under the SouthWest sun, the tape was beginning to deteriorate . . .

Failing Tape

Sooooooo, I had to remove the old tape and then apply the new tape — a slow, fairly arduous job. First, a heat gun is used to heat up the old tape. Then it’s slowly pulled off . . . and the tape adhesive is stickier than hell. This took a little over a month.

 

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE . . .

There are several “little” chores left, but the big stuff is dome.