We crossed the border into Canada yesterday afternoon and were immediately set upon by armed Canadian militia who have imprisoned us in chain link cages.
It was a lonnnng trip (for us) from the Spokane area to Cranbrook, BC. About 5 hours. We’ve been used to driving less that 100 miles for a while, so this trip was a haul.
Nevertheless, we camped at the Crandon / St Eugene KOA (Kampgrounds Of America). We usually avoid KOAs as they are the McDonald’s of campgrounds — pricey, not much substance, but a guaranteed level of mediocrity.
However, the Cranbrook KOA was different from the get go. It was the sign on the office that clued us in . . .
The Ktunaxa Nation opened this KOA just a year ago in 2018. So, firstly, the campground is brand new, but it’s the “room service” that got us — They Deliver Food to Your RV Site.
So after a 5-hour drive nothing beats having a burger delivered to your motorhome door. Yowzah!
The campground is spread out with great views of nearby mountains . . .
Also, the KOA is built several kilometers (not “miles” anymore) from town and it’s next to the St Mary River . . .
CANADA OBSERVATIONS . . .
- We have been able to mingle freely with the inhabitants. I guess we’re passing as Canadians.
- The local Safeway only had Eveready and not Duracell batteries. Also, no Keebler cookies. Plus, they don’t sell wine or hard stuff in the Safeway. Had to travel to a liquor store, but found Tanqueray 10!!! Been looking for that ambrosia for ages.
- So far it’s been debit/credit card only. No cash.
- Though DISH satellite TV worked just fine (and with Spokane local stations), HBO wouldn’t let us stream the Little Big Lies finale as we were no longer in the US.
- Finally, as soon as we crossed the border my AT&T Mobley died and Verizon switched over to TELUS with a 500 MB daily data limit, but the KOA WiFi saved the day.
Wow.. you made it!! When I watched the video of your campground all I could think about was.. forested hills teeming with grizzlies.. watching every move the campers make and pick out the specially delicious-looking ones.. YA! Mary The site is beautiful.. just don’t get eaten.. please.